March 23, 2025 | 08:02 pm

TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - The Palestinian resistance group, Hamas on Saturday stated that the communication with mediators regarding ceasefire in the Gaza Strip and the prisoner exchange agreement with Israel "never stopped."
In a statement as quoted by Anadolu, Hamas spokesperson Abdul Latif al-Qanoua said, "The proposal put forward by (the U.S. President's envoy) Steve Witkoff, along with several other ideas, are being discussed with the mediators."
On March 13, Israeli media reported that Witkoff proposed a plan that includes the release of five Israeli citizens held in exchange for a 50-day ceasefire, the release of Palestinian prisoners from Israeli jails, the entry of humanitarian aid, and the start of the second stage of negotiations.
The next day, Hamas announced its approval of the proposal put forward by the mediators, which includes the release of an Israeli-American soldier and the return of the four bodies of dual nationals, as part of the continuation of the second stage negotiations.
Al-Qanoua emphasized that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is the "main obstacle in reaching an agreement." He added that the continuation of the implementation of the agreement depends on "Netanyahu's stance, as he prioritizes his government's survival over the lives of the hostages in Gaza."
He also emphasized Hamas' readiness to engage in any arrangement related to the Gaza government, as long as it is based on national consensus. He said Hamas does not aspire to play a role in any administrative framework.
"Hamas has previously agreed to the formation of a community support committee in Gaza that does not involve Hamas," said Al-Qanoua.
"We do not aspire to rule Gaza. What is important to us is the existence of national consensus, and we are committed to its results," he said.
Al-Qanoua also condemned the resumption of Israel's genocide in Gaza, calling it a "genocide war" conducted with the support of the United States. He urged the U.S. to pressure Israel to return to the ceasefire agreement and restrain from becoming involved in the conflict.
Since Tuesday, more than 700 Palestinians have been killed and over 1,000 others injured due to sudden Israeli airstrikes in Gaza, which destroyed the ceasefire agreement and prisoner exchange in effect since January.
Since October 2023, nearly 50,000 Palestinians, mostly women and children, have been killed, while over 113,000 others have been injured due to brutal Israeli military attacks in Gaza.
Last November, the International Criminal Court (ICC) issued an arrest warrant for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and former Defense Minister Yoav Gallant on charges of war crimes and crimes against humanity in Gaza.
Israel also faces a genocide case at the International Court of Justice (ICJ) regarding the attacks in the region.
Editor's Choice: Trump 'Fully Supports' Israeli Actions as Airstrikes on Gaza Resume
Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News
At Least 130 Palestinians Slaughtered by Israel in Gaza in 48 Hours
2 jam lalu

At least 130 Palestinian civilians have been killed in Israeli attacks in the Gaza Strip over the last 48 hours
U.S. Tells UN Hamas Is to Blame for Deaths Since Israel Resumed Gaza Hostilities
1 hari lalu

The United States told the U.N. Security Council on Friday that the Palestinian militant group Hamas was to blame for the deaths in the Gaza Strip.
Thousands of Israelis Protest Netanyahu's Attack on Gaza
2 hari lalu

Thousands of Israelis protest the massive attack on Gaza and the dismissal of the head of Shin Bet by Netanyahu.
Trump 'Fully Supports' Israeli Actions as Airstrikes on Gaza Resume
2 hari lalu

Israel's massive military attack on Gaza is fully supported by Donald Trump. What are the reasons?
UN Staff Killed in Israeli Attack on Gaza, Antonio Guterres Expresses Grief
3 hari lalu

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres admitted to feeling "very sad and shocked" about the death of a UN staff member due to an Israeli bombing in Gaza Strip
Meta Suspends Social Media Channels of Pro-Duterte Media in Philippines
3 hari lalu

Former President Rodrigo Duterte to remain in ICC detention until September 23 hearing.
Arab League Urges US to Pressure Israel to Halt Gaza Ceasefire Violations
3 hari lalu

Emergency meeting of the Arab League calls on Washington to ensure Israel complies with the Gaza ceasefire mediated by Egypt, Qatar, and the US
Today's Top 3 News: Palestinian Envoy Delivers Urgent Letter to Indonesia's Prabowo Amid Renewed Israeli Strikes
4 hari lalu

Here is the list of the top 3 news on Tempo English today, March 19, 2025.
Israel Calls Gaza Attack 'Just the Beginning' as 400 Palestinians Killed
4 hari lalu

War in Gaza erupts once again. In the Israeli attack on Gaza, over 400 people have died.
World Condemns Latest Deadly Israeli Attack on Gaza
4 hari lalu

Israel's deadly attack in Gaza on Tuesday, March 18, 2025, has drawn condemnation from Arab countries and the international community.