August 18, 2026 | 11:09 am

TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - US President Donald Trump threatened to bomb Oman if the US ally interferes with Washington's efforts to negotiate an agreement with Iran over the Strait of Hormuz, a vital global shipping route.
Trump made the threat Monday, August 17, during a phone interview with Fox News chief foreign correspondent Trey Yingst, according to NBC News. Yingst said Trump was responding to questions about negotiations between Oman and Iran over the status of the strait.
“If Oman gets in the way, we’ll bomb the s--- out of them,” Trump said.
Trump later addressed the remarks while speaking to reporters in the Oval Office. Asked about Oman, he said, “I don’t think they behaved very well, but we’d handle them very easily, just like we do other things.”
The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment from NBC News. No audio of Trump's interview with Fox News was provided.
Oman has been negotiating with Iran over the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz, while Washington has pursued its own efforts to secure access through the waterway. Iran's semiofficial Mehr News Agency reported Saturday that Tehran had reached an agreement with Oman on a plan for ship traffic through the strait.
The threat came as the future of US-Iran negotiations remained uncertain. A 60-day memorandum of understanding signed by the two countries in June was due to expire Monday. The agreement was intended to help end the conflict and secure at least a partial reopening of the Strait of Hormuz, but the ceasefire later broke down as the two sides resumed attacks.
The Strait of Hormuz, which lies between Iran and Oman, is one of the world's most important energy corridors. About a fifth of global oil and liquefied natural gas shipments normally pass through the waterway.
As reported by BBC, Iranian officials said they were close to finalizing an agreement with Oman on reopening the strait. Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said the two sides had reached an understanding on the route that ships would use, with details to be finalized before a joint statement.
Oman has positioned itself as a neutral party in the conflict and has played a key role in diplomatic efforts involving Iran. The country has also suffered strikes during the conflict.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz nearly ground to a halt over the weekend, with only 13 ships passing through the waterway, including three on Sunday, according to MarineTraffic, as cited by NBC News.
Trump has also claimed that the United States has a direct backchannel with Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC). An IRGC spokesman denied the claim, saying no talks were taking place between its officials and the United States.
Trump has said he is not in a hurry to end the conflict with Iran. He also rejected the possibility of extending the June memorandum when asked by BBC News in the Oval Office.
Earlier this month, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said a full reopening of the strait depended on Iran receiving compensation from the United States over what Tehran described as violations of the memorandum. Reuters, citing an Iranian official, previously reported that Iran was seeking fees equivalent to 5 to 7 percent of cargo values from vessels using the waterway.
The confrontation has also raised concerns in Washington. Sen. Tim Kaine, a Virginia Democrat, said he planned to introduce a resolution opposing military action against Oman when the Senate returns from its August recess. Kaine has long advocated limiting presidential authority to use military force.
Trump last week also floated the idea of declaring the Strait of Hormuz US territory. Asked Monday about the proposal, he said the United States had “total control” of the strait and described a US-imposed blockade as effective.
The comments came as oil prices rose. Brent crude, the international benchmark, briefly climbed above $90 a barrel and was up 2.7% at its daily high, according to NBC News.
Trump's son-in-law and special envoy Jared Kushner, who also spoke with Yingst, said Trump remained focused on applying economic pressure on Iran and insisted that Tehran would need to agree to what he described as a genuine deal.
The dispute over the Strait of Hormuz comes as Washington and Tehran remain at odds over Iran's nuclear program and the future of the waterway, with Oman's mediation efforts emerging as a key part of attempts to restore maritime traffic.
Read: Iran Says Strait of Hormuz Deal Is in 'Final Stage'
Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News
Iran Says Strait of Hormuz Deal Is in 'Final Stage'
11 hari lalu

Iran's Foreign Ministry says a deal with Oman to reopen the Strait of Hormuz will come very soon on conditions.
Iran Denies US Talks, Says Working with Oman on Hormuz Strait
14 hari lalu

Iran denied on Monday that it was holding talks with the United States. Trump announced that talks begins on Monday.
Iran Calls for Regional Cooperation in Strait of Hormuz
20 hari lalu

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi urged Saudi Arabia and Oman to step up diplomatic efforts to restore stability in the Strait of Hormuz.
Iran Strikes US Bases in Oman, Syria, and Jordan
30 hari lalu

Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) launches retaliatory missile and drone strikes against US military bases in Oman, Syria, and Jordan.
Iran, Oman Hold First Joint Committee Meeting on Strait of Hormuz
49 hari lalu

Iran and Oman agreed on June 23 to form a joint committee to facilitate dialogue on the Strait of Hormuz.
Iran, Oman Establish Joint Committee on Strait of Hormuz
55 hari lalu

Iran and Oman have formed a joint committee to discuss the Strait of Hormuz, Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf said.
Indonesia Jumps to 118 in FIFA Rankings After Matchday Victories
10 Juni 2026

Indonesia climbed four spots to 118th in the latest FIFA rankings thanks to its victories against Oman and Mozambique.
FIFA Matchday: Mozambique Looking to Turn Tables After Oman Loss
8 Juni 2026

The Indonesian national team convincingly defeated Oman 3-0 last Friday, while Mozambique suffered a 1-4 defeat against the same opponent.
Today's Top 3 News: Indonesia Beats Oman 3-0 in FIFA Matchday
6 Juni 2026

Here is the list of the top 3 news on Tempo English today.
FIFA Matchday: Indonesia Beats Oman 3-0
5 Juni 2026

This victory also marks the end of the Indonesian National Team's 38-year drought against Oman.















































