August 9, 2025 | 01:07 pm

TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Member of Indonesia's House of Representatives’ Commission I, retired Major General Tubagus Hasanuddin, has urged the government to be wary of what he described as a possible “Israeli trap” in the planned evacuation of 2,000 Gaza refugees to Pulau Galang.
Although still in its early stages, the Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDIP) legislator stressed that the plan must meet several key conditions that may not be achievable in the near term.
“In my view, this is still at the initial stage. We must first ensure that the four key requirements can truly be met,” Hasanuddin said in a written statement on Saturday, August 9, 2025.
The first condition, he noted, is that the evacuation must have the consent of the Palestinian people themselves. He questioned whether they would agree to be relocated to Indonesia, even for medical treatment and temporary protection.
“They might prefer to receive treatment in their own country or in neighboring states,” he said.
So far, the Palestinian Authority has not signaled approval for evacuating its citizens abroad, with internal divisions persisting, including within Hamas. “There can be no evacuation without the consent of the legitimate authorities,” he stressed.
Hasanuddin also said the process hinges on Israel’s approval, given Gaza remains under conflict and military blockade. He warned that Israel is unlikely to allow evacuees to return, a scenario that could serve its strategic interest in reducing the Palestinian population in disputed areas.
“Israel and its allies want Palestinians to leave the contested territory. We must ensure we’re not caught in that scenario,” he said.
He further called for coordination with neighboring countries such as Egypt and Jordan, which play a strategic role in the Palestinian issue. “Indonesia cannot act unilaterally,” he added.
Despite his concerns, Hasanuddin reaffirmed Indonesia’s commitment to supporting Palestine through humanitarian and medical aid. “I fully support humanitarian assistance in any form, but we must avoid falling into Israel’s political designs,” he said.
Foreign Minister Sugiono explained that the offer to shelter Gaza refugees in Pulau Galang stemmed from President Prabowo Subianto’s state visits to Middle Eastern countries and Turkey on April 9, 2025. During these trips, Prabowo informed Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) leaders that Indonesia was willing to treat children, the elderly, and women wounded in the Israel–Palestine conflict, provided all parties agreed.
In meetings with GCC leaders, Prabowo expressed readiness to care for up to 1,000 Gaza war victims, contingent on the consent of the Palestinian Authority and neighboring states like Jordan and Egypt.
Technical preparations, Sugiono added, are underway to ensure swift implementation once approval is secured. Pulau Galang, previously used as a COVID-19 treatment site, has been floated as a possible location due to its existing infrastructure.
Presidential Communication Office head Hasan Nasbi confirmed that Pulau Galang is among the main options, citing its separation from residential areas and its history as a refugee site.
“It’s manageable in terms of security and public comfort,” Hasan said in a press briefing on Thursday, August 7, 2025. He denied that the plan amounted to relocation, describing it instead as temporary medical treatment and humanitarian assistance.
Editor’s Choice: Egypt Seeks $35 Billion Gas Deal with Israel Despite Gaza Conflict
Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News
Government Probes Reports of Ex-IDF Soldiers Running Villas in Bali
14 jam lalu

Two former Israel Defense Force (IDF) soldiers are suspected of managing villas in Bali.
Egypt Seeks $35 Billion Gas Deal with Israel Despite Gaza Conflict
15 jam lalu

Despite Egypt's increasing criticism and frustration over Israel's genocide in Gaza, the two countries continue to make deals considered necessary for Cairo.
Israeli Security Cabinet Approves Plan to Take Over Entire Gaza
15 jam lalu

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu recently announced a plan to take over the entire Gaza.
Indonesia Awaits Palestine's Approval for Gaza Evacuation Plan
15 jam lalu

Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Arrmanatha Nasir confirmed that the proposal can only proceed after receiving Palestine's formal consent.
Indonesia Highlights Rising Support for Two-State Solution
16 jam lalu

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs highlights the increasing international support at the UN for a two-state solution as a peaceful path to resolve the Palestine-Israel conflict.
Today's Top 3 News: Here's Why the Indonesian Gov't Declared August 18 a Collective Leave Day
17 jam lalu

Here is the list of the top 3 news on Tempo English today.
Germany Halts Military Exports Potentially Usable by Israel in Gaza
18 jam lalu

This decision represents a significant shift for the German government, which has historically been one of Israel's staunchest international allies.
World Leaders Denounce Israel's Move to Occupy Entire Gaza Strip
18 jam lalu

World leaders have condemned Israel's plans to take control of Gaza City, the last 25 percent of the Gaza Strip that they do not yet control.
Netherlands Says No Plan to Recognize Palestine State for Now
21 jam lalu

The Netherlands rejects the recognition of Palestine as a state and will not stop importing weapons from Israel.
Netanyahu Says Israel Resolute in Plan to Occupy Gaza
23 jam lalu

Prime Minister Netanyahu expressed the intention of Israel to occupy Gaza to establish a Hamas-free administration in the enclave.